Colette took the leftover carrots from our first attempt home with her and put them to good use. Here is her first guest appearance as a blogger- hopefully there will be more!
With all the left over carrots we had, something had to be done!
Based on the dill carrot recipe in the Bernardin book and I added a few of my own touches without modifying the acidity.
For the brine:
2 Cups white vinegar + 3 Cups Cider vinegar (because there wasn't enough of 1 kind in the house)
1 2/3 cup water
4 tsp pickling salt
1 2/3 cup granulated sugar
Bring brine to a boil for 5mins.
Meanwhile: I sliced up the carrots as long as the jars and julienned them. I also used up a bag of 'baby' carrots I had in the fridge.
I boiled the carrots in water for 2 mins. (which I don't know if I'd do again as I suspect they may be too soft/not crunchy).
I could have saved a step and boiled my carrots in the brine - but I didn't want the purple carrots to bleed into the others again.
Sterilize the Jars - 250mls.
1 tsp dill seed in each jar
1/4 tsp chili flakes
stuff with the julienned carrots
fill with brine
Can for 10 mins.
Ready in 4 weeks. We will update you on whether they are good.